Firewall - Router

wrg 12:36 19 Sep 09

I have a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. How can I tell if the firewall is on. My security settings on my PC currently tell me that I have no firewall working. I have looked in the router settings and cannot seem to find anything.

Thanks

wrg

Sea Urchin 13:13 19 Sep 09

According to this it has double firewall protection - which is activated from the installation CD.

click here

As well as using the router firewall you could also have the Windows firewall on - go to Control Panel and Windows Firewall to switch on. (on XP)

Sea Urchin 13:15 19 Sep 09

By the way - I don't think the router firewall will show up as being on in the Windows security settings

mfletch 13:37 19 Sep 09

Your right Sea Urchin the router firewall is not shown in the security center,

Router firewall/ is a Hardware firewall

Windows firewall/ is a software firewall

So you can run both,

wrg 14:38 19 Sep 09

Thanks all. Should I not be able to access the firewall settings in the router? I have looked but cannot seem to do it. Sorry to be a pain.

Sea Urchin 15:11 19 Sep 09

Do you not have a manual for the router - if not download from here

click here

Chapter 4 deals with blocking access - and chapter 5 with checking status etc.

But if when you installed you did not ask for it to be disabled then I am sure it will be working.

dth 12:32 20 Sep 09

It is automatically set to on when you install the router - so unless you have disabled it it will be working.

The router firewall provides protection against people trying to access your computer but does not protect against outgoing stuff from your p/c. Some people choose to also install a software firewall too. This would act as additionally protection on stuff coming into your p/c and also stuff going out. ZoneAlarm is quite a good software firewall.

Windows will assume that you do not have a firewall if you are just using the firewall built into your router.

A good test is to visit the website below:-

click here

This tests your firewall for vulnerabilities and is completely safe and free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…