Firewall & Router

pjwheeldon 09:11 22 Jan 07

Do I need to run AVG on my PC even though it accesses the internet via a router used to provide wireless access for a couple of laptops? Recently installed the updated AVG, but it does not show a single attempted intrusion. Recall someone somewhere discussing using an old PC or router as a physical firewall, and wondered if it was having this effect at the moment. Any advice welcome.

Fingees 11:09 22 Jan 07

AVG is anti virus, so if you haven't been infected it is doing it's job.

The firewall stops lthe likes of hackers, and rogue dialers etc.

So both are worthwhile for pece of mind.

The Kestrel 12:48 22 Jan 07

It is very important that you have a good defence against viruses and hackers. To do this you need antivirus, like AVG, a software firewall such as Zonealarm or Comodo, and spyware detection and removal, such as AVG antispyware, spywareblaster adaware etc.

It may be a nuisance to keep these up to date and regularly scan with them, however it would be much more difficult removing any malware or viruses that did infect your PC and your network.

pjwheeldon 14:15 22 Jan 07

Sorry kind folks who bothered to read the gibberish I posted, meant of course ZoneAlarm, not AVG (which I do, of course have running).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 22 Jan 07

Yes your hardware firewall in the router may well be preventing anything getting through. (Alerts are set on?)

The paranoid amongst us tend to run a software firewall (such as ZA) as well to be on the safe side.

pjwheeldon 02:35 23 Jan 07

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep ZA running for belt and braces protection!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now