Firewall - Recommendation?

Bevan Ashford 09:16 21 Apr 08

So there I was thinking I was very clever and would buy separate Antivirus, Malware and Firewall products.

But I was unable to find a recommended stand alone Firewall product recommended by PC Advisor without added antivirus or malware elements?

Are there none worth recommending for under £30?

If not can anyone recommend the best free Firewall to use?

The antivirus I itended to buy was Kapersky and the anti-malware product Spyware Doctor.

Thank you.

Technotiger 09:18 21 Apr 08
  birdface 10:00 21 Apr 08

Comodo is supposed to be the best.Kerio is also very good.Both are free.With kerio I think you can purchase the pro version and its not expensive.

summerisle2008 10:06 21 Apr 08

I have used Comodo for about 18 months and find it very good.......and FREE

FatboySlim71 10:11 21 Apr 08

I use the Windows Vista firewall. Others may say that it is not a very good firewall, but personally I have not had any problems with it, nor did I have any problems with the XP firewall that I used previous to getting Vista.

I did use Comodo a few weeks ago but I started getting a lot of blue screens since I started using it. After I went back the Windows Vista firewall I stopped getting them.

In my opinion, if you use a good anti virus program, anti spyware programs, then any free firewall (including the Windows firewall) will be good enough, and even more so if you are using a modem/router that has a SPI firewall built into it.

Ditch999 17:05 21 Apr 08

If you go for Kaspersky (which I have) please be aware that it is NOT compatible with the free Zone Alarm firewall.

SimpleSimon1 17:29 21 Apr 08

Bevan

Take a look at the following link to Scots Newsletter where he's just finished a monster (and fairly technical) review of 2008 Firewalls.
click here

His choice is Online Armor which is stand-alone and in your price range plus he gives reasons why other firewalls fell by the way. May be of interest.

Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 21 Apr 08

"In my opinion, if you use a good anti virus program, anti spyware programs, then any free firewall (including the Windows firewall) will be good enough"

Windows firewalls will not stop outgoing transmissions if you get a trojan / keylogger

Get a decent Firewall - Kerio - Sygate - Zonalarm - Comdo just use 1

1 antivirus AVG or AVAST

1 realtime Antispyware scanner + a backup (not realtime scanning)

FatboySlim71 22:46 21 Apr 08

Fruit Bat thats why I said "use a good anti spyware, anti virus" as good ones of these will detect the keylogger/trojan that you mention.

I run my anti spyware programs daily and twice a week I run my anti virus and I have never had any problems.

Bevan Ashford 13:40 23 Apr 08

Thanks to everybody for their replies. Incredibly comprehensive.

Many Thanks to Everybody.

I will tick it as resolved next week, for now I'm leaving it open in case anybody else wishes to add a comment.

Poitier 14:03 23 Apr 08

If you are intent on buying Kapersky antivirus remember that it is dificult to find a firewall that is compatible wiith it.This is more important with XP than Vista.It also contains a good antispyware program.If you want another firewall far better to buy Kaspersky Internet Security in the first place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…