firewall question

suzie005 10:03 14 Nov 03

been trying to sort this out all week for a friend.he keeps getting Norton pop up messages telling him that a remote pc is trying to access his pc.ICMP inbound with my IP addy.wot is he supposed to do cos he gets loads of them? i don't know Norton or XP.he's on dial up btw.dunno if u need to know that.

cheers

recap 10:19 14 Nov 03

Hi suzie005, there are a few types of ICMP that you allow and a few that you don't allow through a firewall.

In this case though I would suggest your friend allows them as they know it is from you.

only me 10:21 14 Nov 03

what level of risk is it on, low, no problem, higher, think twice, it might be hacker.

suzie005 10:31 14 Nov 03

it's all new to me.with my firewall i don't get owt like that.

i did manage to let him to send me a pic of the message.when i saw it i did tell him that he probably he needs to say yes so that the firewall remembers.ok he has the A/V and firewall but i don't think he knows a thing about them.i've never come across ICMP b4 and can u tell me why he's being told that he's at risk?

only me

it's high risk.daft yeah cos when i saw the pic and saw that it's saying it's me i just didn't understand why.i'm definately not clever enuff to b a hacker!

recap 10:42 14 Nov 03

Set the security level to medium this should then allow your ICMP message through.

An explanation of ICMP:

The Internet Protocol(IP)is used for host-to-host datagram service in a system of interconnected networks called the Catenet. The network connecting devices are called Gateways. These gateways communicate between themselves for control purposes via a Gateway to Gateway Protocol. Occasionally a gateway or destination host will communicate with a source host, for example, to report an error in datagram processing. For such purposes this protocol, the Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP),is used. ICMP, uses the basic support of IP as if it were a higher level protocol, however, ICMP is actually an integral part of IP, and must be implemented by every IP module. Basically ICMP messages are sent in several situations: for example, when a datagram cannot reach its destination, when the gateway does not have the buffering capacity to forward a datagram, and when the gateway can direct the host to send traffic on a shorter route.

suzie005 10:57 14 Nov 03

thank you.message HAS been passed on.probably mean me giving step by step instructions tho.

terminus 11:09 14 Nov 03

it not more likely that the Norton alert is turned on,
And that this is merely normal Internet traffic?

terminus 11:15 14 Nov 03

With Nortons known record for instability with some PCs I would advise removing it, and istalling a free AV, and firewall.

terminus 11:30 14 Nov 03

Free anti virus systems I use Avast but AVG is used by quite a lot in here click here

Free firewalls (except Tiny) click here

All these are from the downloads link above.

keep things simple.

suzie005 11:37 14 Nov 03

for normal traffic yes.was on the fone just now to him b4 i saw this and he likes his Norton.personally i don't and it would be so much easier if i could set it up for him but he's not near me.i will talk to him again tonite and see wot he says about using freebies.at the sec i'm tearing my hair out with him and have named him a pc virgin.

cheers 4 the advice

suzie005 11:38 14 Nov 03

thanks for the links.i personally use AVG and Outpost ( had problems with ZA)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…