firewall query

struggle8 14:51 05 Apr 04

on checking out the applications part of sygate personal firewall I have noticed that there ia an exe file i.e C:/program files/stardownloader/downloader.exe trying to access the net I cannot find this app any idea how I can root it out as its not where it says it is

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:54 05 Apr 04

Have you done a search for it ? look in system files and hidden folders.

Regards.

struggle8 15:02 05 Apr 04

I have tryed a search showing all files and folders but its not showing when I remove it from sygage firewall I just comes back

Gongoozler 17:27 05 Apr 04

I would be very surprised if the program isn't there. It looks like this is the program click here.
Have you tried in Windows Explorer, View - Folder Options - View, untick "Hide file extensions for known file types, and click on "Show all files".

GaT7 17:35 05 Apr 04

I have Norton Internet security (NIS) & some programs that I've long since uninstalled still appear in NIS' Configuration Options/Program Control.

Open Sygate PF & delete/remove the entry in it's Program blocking/allow Options (wherever it is in Sygate) - someone who knows Sygate better will be able to help you out here.

QQAA 23:17 05 Apr 04

i guess you probably dad the freeware "Star Downloader" (a download manager) before but had since uninstalled it when it became a paid shareware in end-Dec 03.

incidentally, i had mentioned this issue in my Jan 2004 posting click here.

so, now i am wondering if a 'hidden' net-accessing component was left behind by "Star Downloader" after you uninstalled it. this is strange, because it is supposed to be spyware-free as claimed by its author then.

by the way, presently do you scan your system with some free spyware-detection tools such as "Ad-aware" ?

i believe other people here may have a better idea on this topic becasue i myself have not used this download manager before.

struggle8 15:09 06 Apr 04

yes I have scanned with ad aware yes removed from firewall just comes back connot find it in windows exploerer if its hidden how cann i find it

GaT7 15:36 06 Apr 04

1. See if stardownloader\loader.exe is starting up as you boot your PC. Look in msconfig & if present uncheck the box.

2. Do a search for stardownloader in your Registry & delete every instance of it. (Caution: It's always good practice to backup your registry before making any changes to it.)

After the above steps see if the problem persists. If no joy go to next step...

3. To do a comprehensive search on your system for 'stardownloader' I suggest you download & install a free program - InfoRapid Search & Replace - click here & do a search with it. It will search every nook & cranny of your hard drive (including in all files & programs) & display all instances of stardownloader on your PC. You can then delete the references to the offending file.

If you're in doubt what to delete/change with any of the above steps ask us first.

Gongoozler 15:40 06 Apr 04

Does your version of Windows have the facility to boot to DOS screen?

struggle8 17:10 06 Apr 04

I found a folder for star download deleted it and deleted it from fire wall but still showing agqain cannot find any thing in regesty search im using win xp dont know anything about dos screen

QQAA 17:52 06 Apr 04

click here can be used, just in case yours is only a simple case of some program components of Star Downloader being accidentally left behind in your windows registry when you uninstalled it previously.

after that, reboot your computer and hope the problem solved this time. if necessary, make one more registry scan with the "RegSeeker".

so far, none of the people here have reported the same problem with Star Downloader. perhaps it is really spyware-free after all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5