Firewall Query

Ebonytiger 15:48 28 Dec 03

I have networked 2 computers through a router to enable joint access to cable broadband. At present 1 computer has Norton's Firewall and the other has Zonealarm (the free version). I am about to upgrade the latter with Windows XP and would like to know whether the router's hardware firewall would be a safer option and are the software ones still needed or do they conflict?

matt1234 16:36 28 Dec 03

well i think norton will kick up more of a fuss than zonelabs i reckon if you take norton off and put zonealarm on the machine that has norton on shouldnt conflict as my laptop is on a network and all the other machines run zonealarm and thier is no problem!

The hardware firewall maybe good enough depends on your hardware but it is still better as a percaution to use the firewalls on the computers as zonealarm wacthes all the ports on the computers!

dth 16:59 28 Dec 03

As your router has a hardware firewall included you do not need the software firewalls (Nortons or ZoneAlarm) on your two P/Cs.

Hardware firewalls are more secure than software ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…