Firewall program for network?

barnettgs 20:40 25 Sep 03

At my work, there are 4computers connected to a hub and a 'head'computer which is connected to internet via dial-up modem. There is a guy on other computer who always download mp3 files using iMesh software so it annoys me as it's impossible to browse internet on the rest of other pcs. So I thought about using firewall on 'head' computer and I'm wondering whether a 'free' edition firewal would do the job to block the internet traffic to iMesh program on other pc and hide in system tray so anyone will not notice firewall is in place. Is that possible?

Thanks

LastChip 21:19 25 Sep 03

Do you mean a server?

What operating system does it use, as it may be possible to block the site.

Other issues.

If you have a WORK (as in business) connection to the internet without any sort of firewall, you are playing a potentially very dangerous game.

Who is in charge of the system? Is it you, because if not, placing a firewall in the system without the "administrators" permission could cause a lot of grief!

The downloading of MP3 files on business premises, is becoming a hotbed of potential litigation. Ultimately, the administrator/company is responsible, and can result in very hefty fines.

It's one thing having the odd MP3 at home, but the recording companies are getting seriously aggravated at what they see as theft, and are targeting business servers that are known to be downloading significant numbers of tracks.

Recently in the USA (yes I know!), a twelve year old girl's family settled out of court. Something to think about!

Belatucadrus 21:20 25 Sep 03

Kerio has pretty good remote administration capabilities, click here have a look at the manual to see if it'll do what you want.

barnettgs 21:40 25 Sep 03

Actually, it isn't a server but it's just a normal computer. I guess some called it 'head' because this pc need to be connected to internet before other computer can use it via network.
My work is to take care of computers used for education classes such as ECDL and I'm new to this area which is why i'm considering a firewall to use. A guy who was responsible for these didn't install firewall. All computers are running win98.

Is Sygate personal firewall be enough for the job?

LastChip 23:10 25 Sep 03

If I were you, I would install a firewall straight away. Which one you install, has a lot to do with personal preference, but make sure it will cope with whatever method you are using to share the internet.

Personally, I use Zone Alarm (as many do here), but I believe if you are using ICS for your internet access, you need the "Pro" version to continue to use ICS. I have also heard good things about Kerio (mentioned above). Maybe that will cope with both your requirements.

Or, if you want to exclude specific sites, if your firewall wont cope with that, you could try something like click here

I am sure there are many similar programs, and again, personal preference plays a significant part in your choice of software.

barnettgs 23:14 25 Sep 03

Ok, I understand. I just wanted to know if its possible for firewall to exclude a program such as iMesh running on other computer?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…