Firewall Problem

Kaacee 15:24 27 Jun 09

I have recently been experiencing problems getting my desktop to share printing with laptop, both are running XP.

Today after many hours troubleshooting I have finally identified the "culprit", Zonealarm ...

Although I had allowed printing on both pc's in ZA,the laptop just would not communicate with desktop, hence no printing, but just to check, I switched off ZA on both machines and hey presto, printed from laptop.

Can anyone suggest a reason why ZA should prevent printer sharing.

Thank you

mgmcc 15:33 27 Jun 09

Have you actually configured Zone Alarm to allow the IP addresses, IP range or, ideally, the Subnet of your networked computers?

Open Zone Alarm and, at the left, select "Firewall > Zones". In the window that opens, click the "Add" button and select "Subnet" Type in:

IP Address - 192.168.x.0 (where the third octet "x" matches that of your router's IP address, leave the final octet as zero)

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Description - {anything} but it needs an entry.

Kaacee 16:54 27 Jun 09

mgmcc

Yes the Subnet was configured as per your post.

mgmcc 20:29 27 Jun 09

In Zone Alarm's "Programs" section, has the "Spooler SubSystem App" been given access to the Trusted Zone?

Kaacee 12:20 28 Jun 09

mgmcc

Yes access has been given to spooler in trusted zone.

Kaacee 21:20 28 Jun 09

Finally sorted, I think it was ZA but after deleting the subnet and then reinstating it, it appears to be working ok.

Thanks mgmcc for putting me on the right track.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…