Firewall Problem

palinka 09:48 20 Nov 04

Trying to reset a friend's computer after installing AVG7. Discovered that the Windows XP firewall seems to have vanished. His ISP is stil marked as Firewalled, but there's no icon for the firewall in Control Panel, and a Search shows nothing. I need to get at it to allow AVG to access the web for updates. Could do it by dialling up his ISP first but that's long-winded.
Help please.
One thought. He recently installed SP2 - and then uninstalled it; could that have mucked up the firewall?

SEASHANTY 10:22 20 Nov 04

The new windows XP Security features including the new firewall were contained in the SP2 upgrade.

palinka 10:25 20 Nov 04

Yes, but XP had a firewall before that didn't it?

palinka 10:27 20 Nov 04

Ah, I think I understand - could he install the firewall (just that) from the SP2 disk?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:33 20 Nov 04

Start -settings - network conections- right click on your connection -properties -advanced tick box for fiewall.

XP firewall does not stop outgoing calls better to install Zone Alarm or other Firewall.

Firewalls :-
Kerio4 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 20 Nov 04

Sorry mis-read your post you want to switch it off (not a good idea unless you have another installed).

E-mail blocking has been a big problem with AVG7 several of us have had problems and several threads on the forum. There is a section on the AVG site on how to configure up your E-mail system (outlook etc.) for e-mail scanning.

palinka 11:35 20 Nov 04

thanks Fruit bat, that's useful and I'll take a look. But the problem about firewall is only a side issue. i discovered it while tryiong to deal deal with this problem click here

I'm still stuck.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:00 20 Nov 04

AVG control centre- click update manager- click settings-click dial up tab-tick boxes
use dial up connections, connect automatically and if another connection is established use it.

Make sure your connection is shown in the connection box if not then set up using new connection.

palinka 12:25 20 Nov 04

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\, that's brilliant. At least he can connect now - or he will be able to when his ISP stops giving an engaged signal all the time.(if it ain't one thing it's another!)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:27 20 Nov 04

Glad your up and running, do you have an alternate number for ISP? most of them give more than one phone number.

palinka 13:59 20 Nov 04

yes, sorted now, thanks. But I still would like to solve the Firewall issue. i'll pursue it in my original thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…