Firewall preventing net connection

Scubaman 12:11 15 Aug 03

Hi, I have NPF installed on my comp, I have broadband 512mps and am running win2000 with 768MB RAM and a 950MHz chip, and with the firewall installed the progress bar on the connection window freezes two thirds of the way. If I disable the firewall I have instant connection, but wait for it, if I then enable the firewall and continue browsing my comp proceeds to reboot itself with no warning. Reading other discussions I have tried various 'fixes' like checking the temperature of my chip which is running at the acceptable temp and I have tried removing sticks of RAM but still no joy. Can anyone throw any light on this matter.
Many thanks
Allan

barrie_g 12:51 15 Aug 03

your firewall may have installed badly try reinstalling it to see if that clears the problem or try another firewall such as zone-alarm

fLeAbOy 15:57 15 Aug 03

some more details might help untangle this web scubaman.

First off, what broadband connection do you have, and how does your modem connect to your computer? usb or ethernet?

spuds 19:14 15 Aug 03

A friend had similar problems, that you have. He was with Freeserve BB, and using XP Home. His problem was solved with advise from Freeserve and BT, both suggesting that he was running more that one firewall.Would appear as though he had the XP,ZoneAlarm and a Freeserve firewall, all running together which caused a confliction problem. If you have more than one firewall running, try disabling some to see what happens.

Scubaman 23:05 19 Aug 03

Many thanks I have deleted NPF and installed a free one from the PC Advisor site and everything sems ok. Fingers crossed. I have another minor problem but will post that as a new discussion. Once again thanks I can't say how valuable this forum is to beginners like me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…