Firewall, and IP address

cozza101uk 19:58 25 Apr 06

Hi. Hope you can help with this.

I currently have a PC and 2 lap tops in the house.

I have a cable modem connected to a Buffalo wireless router.

The PC and the 2 laptops access the wireless network wirelessly.

I want the network to be secure so only my machines can access it. It's currently configured for open access, but how do I change this when the router is not connected physically to any machine?

Also, there's a web-cam connected to the PC but the IP address changes every time I switch on. Any idea how I get round this?

Ideally, I'd like to NEVER have to connect the PC or the laptops to the router. But if it has to be done once to make the neccessary changes then fair enough (it's because the PC is in the attic and the modem and router are downstairs).

Thanks.

mgmcc 21:18 25 Apr 06

<<< it's because the PC is in the attic and the modem and router are downstairs >>>

You can always take the router upstairs and plug it into a PC - it doesn't need to be connected to the Cable Modem to configure the wireless security.

<<< Also, there's a web-cam connected to the PC but the IP address changes every time I switch on. Any idea how I get round this? >>>

Depending on the firewall software you are using, you may be able to configure it to allow access to the complete 192.168.11.0 subnet. Changes of IP addresses wouldn't then matter.

Skills 22:47 25 Apr 06

Or setup static IP addresses for all your devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…