Firewall has disabled my e-Mail

Peter-279615 17:55 09 Aug 03

I have had Norton Internet Security protecting my computer for ten months. Three weeks ago I downloaded my regular updates from Symantic. Since then I have been unable to recieve, send or access e-Mails without disabling the firewall. Access to the Web is not affected and virus protection appears to be OK. Two e-Mails to Symantic have not been answered.

Can anyone offer any suggestionsas as to what I can do to resolve the matter. I am running Windows XP and am using Outlook Espress 6.

Clarke

Lú-tzé 19:49 09 Aug 03

Have you checked the pop3 / smtp settings for your mail program? They may have been changed.

What about checking if your mail program has been disalowed access to the net by the firewall? There should be an option to decide what is allowed / disallowed.

Meshuga 21:04 09 Aug 03

Hi Clarke. I had the same problem last week using
Win ME. I was advised by a friend to uninstall
the firewall, then check all the mail settings
(as already mentioned by Lu-tze above) and then reinstall the firewall. It worked ok for me.
Apparently firewalls have this nasty habit.
Regards,Meshuga.

Peter-279615 21:06 09 Aug 03

Many thanks, Lú-tzé. I don't know what I did. I just went into the settings of the Internet security progremme and checked the settings. I didn't think that I change a thing and yet I have protected access to my e-Mails for the first time in weeks.

Thanks again, Clarke

Peter-279615 21:10 09 Aug 03

Thanks, Meshuga. I appreciate the reply. I will bear it in mind in case it happens again. I am hopping not, though.

My thanks to you and Lú-tzé.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…