firewall do I need one?

Nick Dalton 16:09 08 Jul 04

Does a homeuser e-mail & internet surfer really need a firewall. If so is the ZoneAlarm freeware any good?

Diodorus Siculus 16:14 08 Jul 04

Need one - not really if you are on dial up for short periods.

But I use one simply to determine what programs I give access to the internet. If you want one, get one that is free.

Zone Alarm is good; my preference is for Sygate Personal Free.

Cook2 16:14 08 Jul 04

I used to use ZoneAlarm Pro but recently changed to click here and personally I find it better.

kinger 16:16 08 Jul 04

Another vote here for ZoneAlarm, excellent.

I have been using it for years. Easy to use and never let me down.

Cook2 16:16 08 Jul 04

Diodorus Siculus SNAP! I believe it was you that may me decide on Sygate. I never did thank you so, thank you.

Cook2 16:16 08 Jul 04

Diodorus Siculus SNAP! I believe it was you that made me decide on Sygate. I never did thank you so, thank you.

Gaz 25 16:19 08 Jul 04

I use a firewall anyway - but I use broadband and are connected 24/7 since running servers.

Old Shep 16:21 08 Jul 04

Sorry to but in on this thread but getting Broadband soon. Do you just need the Free Zone Alarm or the purchased one for home use.

rawprawn 16:25 08 Jul 04

ETrust are doing a Firewall & Antivirus combined free of charge for 12 m0nths.

Diodorus Siculus 16:49 08 Jul 04

Cook2 - you're doubly welcome! :-}

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:53 08 Jul 04

There is NEVER any need for a home user to pay for a firewall or anti-virus. I don't use a firewall (this has been debated at length) but I use the free version of AVG. I have been running an alert list of nearly 80 AVG users for nearly two years now and all are well happy. This speaks more than any so-called 'laboratory tests'.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…