firewall do I need one?

Nick Dalton 16:09 08 Jul 04

Does a homeuser e-mail & internet surfer really need a firewall. If so is the ZoneAlarm freeware any good?

Diodorus Siculus 16:14 08 Jul 04

Need one - not really if you are on dial up for short periods.

But I use one simply to determine what programs I give access to the internet. If you want one, get one that is free.

Zone Alarm is good; my preference is for Sygate Personal Free.

Cook2 16:14 08 Jul 04

I used to use ZoneAlarm Pro but recently changed to click here and personally I find it better.

kinger 16:16 08 Jul 04

Another vote here for ZoneAlarm, excellent.

I have been using it for years. Easy to use and never let me down.

Cook2 16:16 08 Jul 04

Diodorus Siculus SNAP! I believe it was you that may me decide on Sygate. I never did thank you so, thank you.

Cook2 16:16 08 Jul 04

Diodorus Siculus SNAP! I believe it was you that made me decide on Sygate. I never did thank you so, thank you.

Gaz 25 16:19 08 Jul 04

I use a firewall anyway - but I use broadband and are connected 24/7 since running servers.

Old Shep 16:21 08 Jul 04

Sorry to but in on this thread but getting Broadband soon. Do you just need the Free Zone Alarm or the purchased one for home use.

rawprawn 16:25 08 Jul 04

ETrust are doing a Firewall & Antivirus combined free of charge for 12 m0nths.

Diodorus Siculus 16:49 08 Jul 04

Cook2 - you're doubly welcome! :-}

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:53 08 Jul 04

There is NEVER any need for a home user to pay for a firewall or anti-virus. I don't use a firewall (this has been debated at length) but I use the free version of AVG. I have been running an alert list of nearly 80 AVG users for nearly two years now and all are well happy. This speaks more than any so-called 'laboratory tests'.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…