Firewall and Connection problem

barrydol 23:45 22 Jan 07

I have a PC upstairs connected to a Belkin router via ethernet. I have two laptops downstairs successfully networked to share the files and printer on my PC. My router has a firewall. Do I still need firewall protection on my PC and laptops?

Also whenever my PC reverts to standby mode I lose connection downstairs. Is this normal or have I set it up wrong? Thanks.

Strawballs 10:39 23 Jan 07

The firewall on the router is only against incoming whereas firewalls such as zone alarm or sygate will stop any of the programs on your machine accessing the net without your permission.

As for the 2nd question no that is not normal you should be able to access the net from any of the machines without any of the others being swithched on with a router.

mgmcc 14:02 24 Jan 07

<<< Also whenever my PC reverts to standby mode I lose connection downstairs. Is this normal or have I set it up wrong? >>>

What IP addresses do the "Wireless Network Connections" in the two laptops have? With a Belkin router, they should have addresses in the 192.168.2.x range, but if you happened to have "Internet Connection Sharing" set up on one of the connections in the upstairs PC, this could be causing IP addressing problems and allocating addresses in the 192.168.0.x range. This would prevent the laptops from accessing anything when the upstairs PC was off.

barrydol 21:36 25 Jan 07

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017