firewall choice

EFC1878 21:09 19 Jan 11

I use windows defender but I would like to use another free firewall. I used to use PC Tool Firewall Plus 6 but had problems so uninstalled and went to reinstall version 7 which did not go well.

Any advice of the choice of a free firewall?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:28 19 Jan 11

What op system?
If XP use Zonealarm
If Vista or W7 windows own firewall is good enough

EFC1878 21:42 19 Jan 11

I have windows 7. You think that windows defender is sufficient?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:50 19 Jan 11

No Antivirus / antispam is one hundred percent safe

If using windows 7 then windows own firewall and MSE Microsoft security Essentials click here
Which includes defender is good enough to keep you safe from most things.

As is auto updates with windows updates you never have to worry it install and forget it will run in the background.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:55 19 Jan 11

If you are using a router they usually have a firewall.

G

john bunyan 22:17 19 Jan 11

Since moving to W7 I have used PCTools free firewall - very unobtrusive and I think less problems with compatability than ZA or Comodo.I have had none of the problems you mention.

Sea Urchin 22:21 19 Jan 11

Windows Defender is not the same as the Windows Firewall - you have both with W7

Some other thoughts on general security

click here

Menzie 23:02 19 Jan 11

I use Comodo on my system for my firewall and so far haven't had any problems. The only thing I have to remember to do at times is put it in Game Mode when launching a game as it has physically stopped some games from launching until I did this or manually allowed the items.

Patrik 13:15 20 Jan 11

Try to use ProteMac NetMine click here for mac.It's tool for protecting mac.It's must be helpful to you.

Halmer 13:24 20 Jan 11

on all our laptops and PCs and it's brilliant. Never let me down, slowed me down or worn me down.

So Afraid 15:02 20 Jan 11

Another vote for Comodo AV and Firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now