Firewall blocks attachments

claluc 16:09 08 Apr 03

Just changed my old PC with a new one running XP.
My current firewall is Zone Alarm free version.
Have found out that when using chatrooms or discussion forums incl. Yahoo Messenger and MSN I can receive attachments but not send mine out as
they are blocked by the firewall.

This problem does not occur if I plug in my old PC running WIN98 with the same firewall.

Any ideas?

alan 2273 16:54 08 Apr 03

Have you checked That the XP firewall is not enabled as well as this could cause problems

claluc 18:26 08 Apr 03

yes, have tried both with and without XP firewall on but problem remains the same.

Gunstar 18:42 08 Apr 03

Have you ticked the boxes allowing them to act as a server?

I might be mistaken, but i think that's what you need for the file transfer thingumajig.

wetterfugal™ 18:45 08 Apr 03

Disable the firewall, send attachments then enable again. It's not a solution but a work-a-round until someone comes up with the answer.

You could look under the zone alarm program control tab and see if you recognise something that is being barred that shouldn't.

powerless 18:49 08 Apr 03

In Zonealarm...

Program Control > Programs > Find Yahoo and MSN > Make sure that you have allowed both programs to act as a server.

claluc 19:11 08 Apr 03

I always allow whatever pops up to act as a server, this should not be the problem then, will try out all suggestions anyway and keep you posted.
Thanks

Gunstar 19:16 08 Apr 03

First thing it asks you wether you will let it access the internet, then it asks you if you will let it act as a server, did they both ask twice?

claluc 21:44 08 Apr 03

Yes they did, I let them access the internet, I do however not remember whether I let them act as a server.
How many items can you let act as a server? I thought you can only have one at a time.

Gunstar 21:49 09 Apr 03

Not sure to be honest, but I have a few things running at once (ICQ, MIRC etc...) and there doesn't seem to be any conflict anywhere. I can use file transfers on both.

AubreyS 22:02 09 Apr 03

Have you tried zipping them up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…