Firewall Blocking some of DNS/DHCP?

Gaz W 01:12 04 Jun 03

My firewall (ZoneAlarm free edition) keeps informing me that it has blocked IP addresses, which I think might be DNS/DHCP for my LAN. One such IP address is 62.143.57.86 (TCP Port 445) and the other is 68.35.2.36 (TCP Port 3438).

I opened a command prompt and did ipconfig /all, and it appears that these IP addresses are very similar to the DHCP Server and DNS Servers, i.e. they begin with 62. The numbers after 62 are all different.

Do I allow these IP addresses in ZoneAlarm? If so, will I need to specify an IP range, and if so what's likely to be the best? I'm fairly sure it's a LAN connection because once all the computers are off and not connected to the server the messages don't seem to come up.

Gaz W 01:13 04 Jun 03

Also, I am getting errors in Event Viewer related to DNS and sometimes DHCP, so they could be being caused by this.

Gaz W 01:16 04 Jun 03

I just tried something else in command prompt - tracert 62.143.57.86 and it appears to be NOT a LAN connection. Am I now in danger of being hacked since I allowed tracert to access it, or am I safe? After I noticed it was at a domain called (putting it shortly) ish.de I turned the cable modem off and back on again.

Gaz W 01:22 04 Jun 03

Tried the command again, only this time didn't click OK on the firewall, so it didn't transmit anything. Here's what appeared:

Tracing route to ip86.57.1411e-cud12k-02.ish.de [62.143.57.86]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Gaz W 01:28 04 Jun 03

They both appear to be subdomains from ISPs - the first one is German, and the second IP address is comcast.net. I might be wrong here, but should I email comcast.net? It might be pointless because the usernames appear to be completely random, unless they can track them down via their IP address.

Gaz W 01:44 04 Jun 03

Sorry - my mistake. The DNS servers and DHCP servers actually refer to the broadband connection, although I am supposed to have DNS and DHCP set up on the LAN. Everything works fine but I get errors in Event Viewer.

What should I do about the two IP addresses still trying to access my computer?

Gaz W 02:02 04 Jun 03

I have started a new thread about this matter with a more appropriate title here: click here

Forum Editor - if you see this thread could you delete it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant