Firewall to block internet not LAN

momist 20:04 08 Apr 14

Hi. I use a laptop with both Linux and Windows XP on it, which connects to my home network on wireless. I'd like to stop XP having any access to the outside world, but permit it to see the other PCs in the house and also connect to my wireless scanner/printer. My first thought was to deny access to the internet on the router, but the Linux installation uses the same IP as Windows, so that doesn't work. Windows XP has Comodo free firewall installed, and I've tried playing with the global rules, but can't seem to make much sense of them. I'm OK with Linux but don't know much about networking.

Can anyone help me sort out the firewall to cut XP off from the outside world this way?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Secret-Squirrel 09:37 09 Apr 14

momist, there's no need to do any complicated tweaking of router or firewall settings. Simply assign a suitable fixed IP address (and subnet) to the relevant network adapter in XP but leave the Default Gateway and DNS entries blank. It should take you all of two minutes. XP will then have access to your local network but will be unable to communicate with the outside world.

If you need more detailed instructions then post back and let me know whether XP is using a wireless or wired connection to your router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now