Firewall Antivirus + Internet Explorer together

CLONNEN 13:05 29 Aug 04

I have a lot of programs starting with Windows XP which seem to be causing extremely slow start-up times.

If I disable the Firewall and Antirus software from starting up with Windows I can manually open the Firewall and Antivirus programs before logging onto the Internet with Internet Explorer.

Would it be possible to set an icon on the desktop which would launch the Firewall, Antivirus and Internet Explorer all at the same time from that one icon rather than having to click on three separate icons.

ianeon 13:17 29 Aug 04

Why not leave your firewall & anti-virus, they are fairly important, and get rid of other programmes from your start-up folder. Yes it is possible to put a shortcut for these two on your desktop.Right click the programme and select create a shortcut then transfer that shortcut onto your desktop

CLONNEN 13:31 29 Aug 04

I know how to create shortcuts for programs but I don't know how to merge three programs into one shortcut.

The other programs starting up with Windows are ones I cannot deactivate without upsetting Windows itself and my Printer which has to be reinstalled if it ever gets deactivated from the MSConfig screen.

VoG II 13:36 29 Aug 04

I can't quite see the logic of this.

Presumably you would disable your AV and firewall every time you came off the net. Otherwise clicking your shortcut for the second time would try to launch multiple instances of them, with unpredictable results.

Isn't it simpler (and safer) to let them launch at startup, as they are designed to, and go and make a cup of tea or something while you wait a few extra seconds?

CLONNEN 14:30 29 Aug 04

You raise a good point but if I did want to reconnect to the internet after disconnecting then I could just use the normal Internet Explorer startup icon instead of the multiple shortcut.

So far I have a batch file which launches all three programs :

START "" "D:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\Smc.exe" -start
START "" "D:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe" /startup
START "" "D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
CLS
EXIT

The AVG Antivirus puts itself into the System Tray all neat and tidy. However the Sygate Firewall (top line of batch file) starts up as a Normal window right on top of Internet Explorer.

Is there something I can add to this line to get it to just put itself into the system tray without popping up in front of the Internet Explorer window.

CLONNEN 15:38 29 Aug 04

I really don't want the Sygate Firewall maximised when Internet Explorer is launched.

My ten year-old brother also uses my computer and I do not want him to alter the settings inside the Firewall.

Please someone tell me how to alter the batch file to get it to run minimized.

Here is the Btach File again :

START "" "D:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\Smc.exe" -start
START "" "D:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe" /startup
START "" "D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
CLS
EXIT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…