firewall alert is it ok?

johnnyrocker 10:47 19 Aug 05

good morning.
my sygate is alerting me this morning saying "nt kernel system (ntoskernel.exe)is trying to connect to 66.98.150.150. do you wanrt to allow etc etc do i have a prob or is this safe please?

johnny.

dagwoood 10:53 19 Aug 05

'Morning johnnyrocker. According to this click here you should block the kernel from having access to the internet.

HTH, dagwoood.

johnnyrocker 10:59 19 Aug 05

thanks dagwood great site and have saved it, it would appear i was right to block it, will do so permanently when/if it tries again, any ideas how it has occurred?

johnny.

dagwoood 11:44 19 Aug 05

johnnyrocker, it might be a good idea to run anti-virus/malware scans to eliminate the possibility of having something untoward on your system.

To be honest, I couldn't really say why the kernel wants to access the internet. Might be worth opening another thread and ask if anyone else might shed any light on it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful :(

johnnyrocker 11:49 19 Aug 05

no probs and thanks, i have spybot/adaware/ccleaner/spywareblaster all current and updated.

johnny.

The Spires 12:39 19 Aug 05

The address it's trying to connect to is the 'Panicware' site, pop-up blockers etc, is it trying to update perhaps?

johnnyrocker 12:46 19 Aug 05

possibly as i do have it but not been alerted before and sygate did not say what it was.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant