firewall

morganmight 09:35 27 May 03

Can anyone recommend a good free firewall,i've tried "Zone Alarm" and "Tiny Firewall 4.5",both started ok but after a day or so,it started to play havoc with my pc.ie:pc freezes,blue screen errors.Naturally,ive uninstalled them and when i do the computer works ok again.Any ideas,thanks.
I use windows 98se.

Andsome 09:39 27 May 03

Norton 2003

Andsome 09:40 27 May 03

Sorry, just noticed the word FREE. remember though, 'you get owt fer nowt'.

Wes Tam ;-) 09:55 27 May 03

morganmight I was using the free version of Outpost firewall from click here and liked it so much that I invested in the paid version.

Belatucadrus 09:56 27 May 03

click here for the webattack free firewall page, includes reviews and download links to the main contenders. Have to disagree with Andsome, if you know where to look on the internet you can get loads of perfectly good software for free, without resorting to P2P dodgy file transfer systems like Kazaa. So "Get lots fer owt"

click here for a posting I did with other potentially useful freeware download links.

morganmight 11:01 27 May 03

Thanks to Ansome,Wes Tam;-)and Belatucadrus for your ideas,i will give them a try and let you know how i go on.
Incidently,Wes Tam;-) are you a West Ham fan?(just curious)

BeeWee 11:10 27 May 03

without a shadow of a doubt..i also had zonealarm which i disliked for its intrusiveness. outpost does the job quietly and excellently (in my opinion)

dazza39 11:15 27 May 03

I have Mcfree Firewall 3.00 which was free on a PC mag,works great.

Wes Tam ;-) 10:00 28 May 03

morganmight, Yes and I'm currently in a period of mourning!!!

morganmight 13:56 28 May 03

Wes Tam;-)i'm sure you'll bounce back next season.
I've downloaded Outpost,so far so good,however,i don't fully understand how it is supposed to work.It has outbound,inbound information and there's tonnes of it,Perhaps i need to study it further.

fireball XL5 19:26 28 May 03

good free one sygate personal firewall
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…