firewall

chrisjohn 21:13 11 Aug 06

is zone alarm worth using,if i do ,do i need to disable xp firewall,also is zone alarm the best one to use and easy.

Jak_1 21:17 11 Aug 06

Yes, yes and yes.

sean-278262 21:17 11 Aug 06

Worth using - Yes you need a good one.
Best to use - Probably
Most commonly used - Yes
Disable windows firewall - Yes

Read the tutorials after install and understand them. A window will come up when things want to go online. If you asked x program to go online let it. I dont let anything but my browers and other online progs go on. Not even office is allowed online as it doesnt need to unless I tell it to.

cottie 21:56 11 Aug 06

Slows your startup down to a crawl - Yes

sean-278262 22:05 11 Aug 06

If you use an ancient PC it does with a semperon and half a gig of ram its wonderfully brisk.

phono 22:06 11 Aug 06

So do hackers, malware, adware, spyware, viruses, or should that be virii? and so on.

I've learnt to switch on and go and make a cuppa or something before doing something useful, in this world of ever increasing attempts to control, disrupt or "damage" your computer I think a slow startup time is a small price to pay.

If, on the other hand, it impacted on my PC's performance, now that would be an entirely different kettle of fish.

phono 22:07 11 Aug 06

Oops, last post was in reply to cottie.

cottie 22:39 11 Aug 06

I disagree. There was nothing wrong with ZA before the recent updates that have completely botched what was once a very good firewall. The startup would be bearable, but my poor PC cannot take the strain, Captain! and sometimes goes "oh, for ffs!" and gives up on me. I have to give it mouth to mouth and everything. That Mr ZoneAlarm wants shooting!

phono 22:50 11 Aug 06

I don't doubt you for one minute, but what reason do you have to blame ZoneAlarm?

At this point let me state that I don't work for, receive payment from, or receive any sort of reward from ZoneAlarm, in fact I have in place a true hardware NAT / SPI firewall provided by my trusty Netgear router, but I digress.

Why do you blame ZA for your problems?

VoG II 23:03 11 Aug 06

There have been problems with the latest ZA. You don't need the latest version (not like A/V). You can get an earlier version from click here (site seems to be down unfortunately).

phono 23:15 11 Aug 06

Thanks for stepping in there, my last post did seem a bit confrontational.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017