firefox will not open after two or three times

gaslamp 16:24 24 Feb 09

I have HP pavilion A6511 running vista home premium. ad-aware, spywareblaster, AVG, zonealarm
AMD dual core 4600+, 360gig HDD, 2 gig ram.

the problem is firefox. after opening 2 or 3 times running ok it then refuses to open from the desktop icon. I have to restart the pc and the same thing happens.

I have unistalled firefox twice including all profile folders etc. today i reinstalled windows from the restore partition.

I have searched for solutions on mozilla and www but nothing seems to work or the fault is not covered. suggestions include uninstalling zonealarm, which i don't want to do, AVG search safe is suggested as a problem but i am not willing to unistall anything except the problem which is firefox.

I have a laptop running the same applications/OS and firefox works so this is puzzling me.

can you help please?

gaslamp 16:25 24 Feb 09

Firefox is version 3.0.6

brundle 16:35 24 Feb 09

Have you looked in the Event log under Applications for Firefox references?
Tried Firefox (Safe Mode)?
Tried Firefox using a new or other account (I mean Windows account, I'm not confusing the term with firefox profiles) ?

Tried Portable Firefox (just create any folder you like in your Documents folder and install Portable Firefox there)?

Any add-ons installed? Firefox Safe Mode should eliminate add-on problems.

To be sure the firewall is not the problem you will have to uninstall it temporarily, just disabling it might not be enough.

ambra4 22:52 24 Feb 09

Go into Task Manager – Click Processes Tab and End Process for all Firefox.exe running

Close Task Manger and restart Firefox again

gaslamp 23:03 24 Feb 09

the link will explain everything. it's a problem with firefox that seems to be affecting a lot of people.

there is nothing in task manager to close when it fails to open.

click here

gaslamp 23:05 24 Feb 09

thanks for your help it seems like it's a long wait for a fix from mozilla or micro$oft

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac