Firefox v IE

swapper 22:20 07 Sep 05

I keep seeing items about the Firefox browser, any opinions about which is the "best" Firefox of IE?

Tia

I use both jury still out as yet

scotty 22:35 07 Sep 05

Try it and see what you think. I like the tab feature which allows you to open links to other pages in the background while you continue reading the current page. Also the ability to set your home page as several differnt pages so they all open when you start Firefox.

Diodorus Siculus 22:36 07 Sep 05

FireFox seems faster to me and has some excellent extensions available; some few sites still want IE though.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:37 07 Sep 05

Its a matter of taste.

Firefox subject to less attacks

Cannot update Windows without IE.

dogbreath1 22:38 07 Sep 05

Try Googling Internet Explorer v Firefox. There's just no competition. Also try searching for Firefox on here. There've been loads of topical posts. Firefox (for the moment) is simply superior. There are masses of extensions to enable you to make Firefox suit your personal needs. Adblock, Signature, Tabbrowser Preferences, Foxy Music and StumbleUpon are in themselves enough to encourage me to choose it!!
It's quicker, more secure and, if you want it, has a good choice of skins. At the moment, no competition. The next edition of IE might not agree though.

dogbreath1 22:39 07 Sep 05

Firefox has an IE extension which enables you to view a page in IE if it is reluctant to render itself in Firefox. The extension is called IEView.

LastChip 22:42 07 Sep 05

Even if you ignore the security debate, lack of spyware since I started using Firefox is remarkable.

It is now most unusual for Ad-Aware or Spybot to find anything. That alone, makes it a winner for me.

Stuartli 22:45 07 Sep 05

Absolutely agree with LastChip, in particular re spyware...:-)

Add to it the means to speed it up even more with Firetune Firefox (rather than manually via about:config) and you are away:

click here

Belatucadrus 01:50 08 Sep 05

Firefox wins with me. True you need IE to download security updates, but as most of these are to plug holes in IE, not sure this is too much of a problem.

Skills 01:55 08 Sep 05

I switched to Firefox a few months back now and I like it alot, I tried out Opera as well as thats ok but firefox still wins for me.

I have to keep IE for windows updates and a few other sites but apart from that I never use IE now.

I have had practically no spyware since switching just the odd tracking cookie so what can I say wins hands down for me. MS really will have to do something special with IE7 to win me back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…