firefox uses too much memory

charlie 2 22:55 PM 21 Oct 11

Hi AVG flashes up saying Firefox is using too much memory, never had this before what can it mean

rdave13 23:07 PM 21 Oct 11

Right click the taskbar and select 'task manager'. See how much FireFox uses.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:28 PM 21 Oct 11
  charlie 2 23:30 PM 21 Oct 11

Hi rdave13 Anything from 3 to 13%

charlie 2 23:39 PM 21 Oct 11

Hi Thanks Fruit Bat there is a lot to look at there, plenty to think about, it's just I have never had this warning before

rdave13 23:48 PM 21 Oct 11

On idle (browser not used) it's about 1 % CPU usage. Heavier than IE showing nil.

See Fruit Bat /\0/\'s link and if no better uninstall FF, reboot and try a fresh install. Ram usage of FF is lower than IE when idle. Possibly as IE part of OS.

Miké 10:45 AM 22 Oct 11

Since updating to AVG 2012 I have had a similar problem, not using Firefox but Opera!

I regularly have 14 tabs open, and have done a bit of Googling and found a workround (turn the warning of) not ideal I know!

In AVG Tools goto Advanced settings/Appearance then then remove the tick from 'Display AVG Advisor performance notifications.

charlie 2 22:11 PM 22 Oct 11

Hi Thanks everyone for your comments, I have re installed Firefox and the memory usage has dropped a bit but I still get AVG warning.It looks like this is part of the latest AVG version so I shall not worry but keep an eye on it. Thanks again everyone

birdface 08:55 AM 23 Oct 11

If using W/7 type, Resource Monitor into the start bar then open it and it will tell you what is using the memory at the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know