Firefox shutdown

rawprawn 09:49 28 Feb 06

Sometimes when I close Firefox (using the red cross at the top) and then go to relaunch it. I get the message "Firefox is running but not responding, you have to close Firefox or restart" It is not running, and doesn't show in Task Manager so I have to restart which is annoying. Any ideas please?

remind 09:55 28 Feb 06

1. try using the Mozilla Firefox - Safe Mode shortcut 2. remove your extensions one by one to see if one is causing problems
3. create a new profile, export your old bookmarks and import them into the new profile, reload extensions

rawprawn 10:01 28 Feb 06

Thanks I will try those suggestions, it may take a while to find out as it only happens about twice every ten shutdowns.

rawprawn 10:11 28 Feb 06

How do I get to Safe Mode shortcut 2? I have opened Extensions, and removed 2 that were incompatible with my version (1.5.0.1) to see if that helps.

remind 10:13 28 Feb 06

make a copy of your usual firefox shortcut, adjust the properties of the new one so the first line matches this
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode

CurlyWhirly 10:31 28 Feb 06

I sometimes get that happening to me but it *is* visible in Windows Task Manager.
I see the process firefox.exe and when I end that process I am the able to relaunch Firefox.

I only seem to get this happening occasionally when I visit a website that crashes firefox with an error message "this program is not responding".

I think it is caused by these particular websites not being compatible with Firefox?
Fortunately it doesn't happen very often.

rawprawn 10:41 28 Feb 06

I think that mine is a similar problem,and you may be right about the websites, but it definately doesn't appear in the task manager, to all intents and purposes it is not running. I also think that I have exagerated the number of times I get the problem, probably because it seems more often and annoying when I have to restart.

rawprawn 10:42 28 Feb 06

Thanks, now I understand. I am trying it now.

rawprawn 10:48 28 Feb 06

Ok, I have done all that. I will just have to wait now and see if it solves the problem. Thanks for your help.

CurlyWhirly 10:55 28 Feb 06

Ok, I will accept that firefox.exe isn't running in WTM which is strange as if it isn't running then you should be able to relaunch Firefox without any problems.

I have not encountered your particular problem before so I can't comment. Sorry.

rawprawn 11:01 28 Feb 06

I agree about WTM, it's really strange.Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…