Firefox - problems with character sets

Terence-326338 18:28 11 Oct 06

Hi, I maintain a website for a friend and have a problem with Firefox ignoring the character set specified in the html. The line of code I used is meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="txt/html; charset=UTF-8"> but Firefox displays it in ISO-8859-1 which does not show my special characters correctly (some of the site is in French so letters with accents like é are used quite a lot!).

The site works fine if I use IE6 but so many people are using Firefox it is a major problem for me.

Any help gratefully received.

PurplePenny 19:00 11 Oct 06

Do you specify in the HTML when the language changes? I think that I read recently that it makes a difference to the way that some browsers display characters.

Terence-326338 21:04 11 Oct 06

Thanks for your comment Penny. I have included the following line <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en,fr"> and I thought that this would be sufficient. What should I add extra? Thanks. PS the web site is click here if you want to have a look at the problem.

beynac 11:34 12 Oct 06

Do you use the special characters (e.g. 'é') in your HTML code, or just 'é'? I use iso-8859-1 and Firefox picks this up and displays both English and French correctly.

beynac 11:37 12 Oct 06

The forum software has read the code and displayed 'é' in both cases in my previous post. Here is the relevant bit again -this time with spaces between each character "...special characters (e.g. '& e a c u t e ;) in ...".

beynac 11:42 12 Oct 06

PCA site uses Unicode (UT-8) and I'm seeing all 'e acutes' correctly in Firefox. If you would be willing to give a link to the website, we may be able to see what's happening.

Terence-326338 19:19 12 Oct 06

Thanks everyone for you comments - they were all useful especially the one from "doctype" which pointed me at the validation site. It would appear that I deleted the doctype statement in error. It has been reinstated and all is now well.

I still have one other problem with the site in that Firefox converts the bullets in a bulleted list from diamonds to the letter W. I have no doubt that I have done something else stupid, but any advice would be gratfeully received.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5