Is Firefox Password Manager secure?

throwitoutthewindow 13:40 21 Nov 04

I recently started using Mozilla Firefox browser and find it easier to use than IE. Firefox has a Password manager that appears to remember passwords and usernames. Whilst this helps in not repeatedly typing them in I wonder is it secure? If someone hacked into my PC could they steal the list?

Jakey boy 14:06 21 Nov 04

It's the same as the password manager in Internet Explorer, although I would trust any Mozilla product security-wise, before any microsoft product. You also have the option of clearing all saved password lists at the end of a session if you want.

LastChip 14:20 21 Nov 04

I wondered the same thing.

The help file says, "Firefox can securely save passwords". Just how secure that is, I don't know. Does it mean they are encrypted or simply saved as a binary file which would not be readable without conversion?

Personally, I use the facility for what I term "semi-secure" sites, such as here, on line stores to log on, but not for any financial details; credit card numbers, that sort of thing.

I would like to know the definitive answer though!

Maybe if we search long enough, the Mozilla web site will offer the answer.

Jakey boy 14:28 21 Nov 04

I do exactly the same as yourself. Passwords saved for "non-sensitive" sites, but for financial, online ordering etc, I wouldn't trust a password manager system.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:29 21 Nov 04

No-one is going to hack into a home computer and even if they wanted to by-passing passwords is not too difficult a task to someone with the correct skills. Password managers are safe and save the trouble of remmbering passwords. Unless you are an MI5 spook you will be perfectly OK.

G

throwitoutthewindow 19:55 22 Nov 04

Gandalf
I have seen your advice on other topics and the respect you gather so am inlclined to use it here. But I am not sure if you are saying it is encrypted and sonmeone could get round it, or it is not encrypted but I should not worry as no one will bother hacking into my PC?

woodt 20:43 22 Nov 04

If you want to set a master password then you need this chrome://pippki/content/pref-masterpass.xul .You will be asked for your master password before Firefox fills in any passwords on websites. I have set mine to ask me only one i.e when I open Firefox for the first time. If you close Firefox you will have to reenter your master password again.

woodt 20:46 22 Nov 04

Sorry I thought it would appear as alink. You have to enter

'chrome://pippki/content/pref-masterpass.xul'

into your browser address bar without the quotes.

sidecar profiteers 20:46 22 Nov 04

LMAO @GANDALF such wise words,But does anyone listen ?

Dorsai 21:05 22 Nov 04

The master password option in firefox is there, but i always assumed it was there to keep MY passwords secure from other users of the same PC.

A hacker wont be stopped, i realise, but also assume a hacker wont bother.

I dont want a visitor to my home to visit this site, using my saved password, and eff and blind, and get me banned. So a master password would prevent this.

throwitoutthewindow 23:03 25 Nov 04

what is 'chrome://pippki/content/pref-masterpass.xul'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…