Firefox memory usage

Ikarus 01 Feb 12

I run Win 7 Home premium with 8 GB RAM. When using Firefox after 45 minutes or so I get a popup from AVG which tells me that it has noted that Firefox is using a large amount of memory - 375MB at the last notification. This is with Firefox 10 and I had it with FF9 as well. AVG advises shutting FF down and restarting. After a period the same popup appears.

Has anyone any idea what is happening? This has only happened over the last few months and FF is very slow compared with Google Chrome.

Bill

bremner 01 Feb 12

I am guessing you have multiple tabs open as each uses memory.

Close some and see if the usage drops.

bluesbrother 01 Feb 12

This could be the culprit, plugin-container.exe Plugin Container for Firefox, it can use a lot of resources. When you get the AVG popup run Windows Task Manager, click the Processes tab it will show you CPU and memory usage.

buteman 01 Feb 12

robin_x 01 Feb 12

FF 10 and 12 Nightly Release discussions

I installed FF12.0a1 yesterday from the en-GB win32 zip.

No problems. Does seem quicker.

If you want to downgrade again, all old versions up to 10.0 at Filehippo Firefox Page

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message