Firefox instead of IE

taskmaster 20:28 28 Aug 08

If I download and install Firefox do I need to change any settings e.g. ISP and wireless router?
Should I also install Thunderbird at same time?

skidzy 20:30 28 Aug 08

No need to change any settings at all.

If you are not happy with your current email client,you can of course try Thunderbird,but no reason at all that you have to install Thunderbird.

rawprawn 20:31 28 Aug 08

No you don't need to change anything. Firefox will set itself up when you install it.
Thunderbird is your choice.

taskmaster 21:08 28 Aug 08

Thanks to rawprawn and skidzy for guidance

MIke 21:22 28 Aug 08

After you've got used to Firefox, don't forget to try some add ons. My favourites are FOXMARKS, which keeps a copy of your bookmarks online so you can synch the bookmarks on your desktop and laptop, or even access your bookmarks from any pc.

NEW TAB BUTTON ON RIGHT which as it name implies adds a small button to the right of your open tabs to start up a new tab just as IE7.

SPEED DIAL this is my all time favourite. It allows you to have any number of thumbnails of web pages open in one tab. A great way having all your most used sites in one place. Just click on one of the miniature pages to load up the site in full.

MCAFEE SITE ADVISOR Puts a small button in the bottom right corner of Firefox to tell you how safe a site is.

Have fun with Firefox. It's not perfect, I get the odd crash but I can forgive that as it has many useful features over IE and is very customisable.

MIke

laurie53 08:16 29 Aug 08

Thanks for those add ons, Mike.

I've tried some FF add ons before, but those are new to me.

manrow 08:43 29 Aug 08

Thanks for the Add-Ons Mike, was not awar of some of those!

But comparing Firefox to IE, can anyone explain why this happened?

Using speedtest.net to measure my broadband speed, the answers are much higher with Firefox?

Firefox showed about 6.4Mb, whereas IE showed much less around 4.7Mb? Anyone else repeat that?

Halmer 08:55 29 Aug 08

but on my PC the new IE beta 8 is quicker than it.

taskmaster 18:52 29 Aug 08

Thanks for all comments and help

Stuartli 00:31 30 Aug 08

You should still configure Firefox to behave as you want it - it won't just install itself and behave exactly as you may expect.

Also consider installing Finetune Firefox (freeware), which enhances the speed of the browser:

click here

anniesboy 08:10 30 Aug 08

You might find this useful
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos