Firefox icons dragged my desktop all the SAME !!

cheapread 23:30 21 Jul 09

Hi all,
When I drag icons from browsed sites URL onto the desktop, they are all the same (the Fox logo). When I used IE, they were all customised automatically from the browsed site, so its easy to pick them out at a glance on the Desktop afterwards.
Someone told me how to do it, by getting properties etc. but I couldnt twig it. Can anyone PLEASE do me an example,(step by step) such as the BBC home page, so I can have the BBC logo on my desktop, not a firefox logo like 40 others all the same!!
Surely with all the add-ons etc. with Firefox, there must be an easy way..
Thanks
Cheap

Devil Fish 00:29 22 Jul 09

not the answer to your specific question i know but can you not just bookmark them

i would imagine dragging them to desktop as icons creates an awfull lot of clutter

ambra4 08:20 22 Jul 09

Try using "Smart Bookmarks Bar” add-on extension

It adds an Icon of the sites that you visit occasionally on the bookmark toolbar

you can also make the Icons as small or large as you want in the options

click here

Stuartli 09:42 22 Jul 09

If you click on the blank star in Firefox's Address Bar, it will turn yellow and the website will have been added to your Bookmarks.

Then any time you click on the Toolbar star (on a blue background) the left hand panel will open, revealing the bookmarks. Just click on the one you require to open it. To close the panel, click on the Toolbar icon again.

You can organise bookmarks from Bookmarks>Organise bookmarks.

Far better than cluttering up your Desktop...:-)

Stuartli 09:42 22 Jul 09

If you click on the blank star in Firefox's Address Bar, it will turn yellow and the website will have been added to your Bookmarks.

Then any time you click on the Toolbar star (on a blue background) the left hand panel will open, revealing the bookmarks. Just click on the one you require to open it. To close the panel, click on the Toolbar icon again.

You can organise bookmarks from Bookmarks>Organise bookmarks.

Far better than cluttering up your Desktop...:-)

cheapread 12:54 23 Jul 09

Devil Fish ! Ambra4! Stuartli!

THANKS a million guys for your feedback.....
I will try all these when I get home ....

No... I don't feel cluttered desktop with all those icons on it - I have them nearly in grid and even with my very limited brainpower I can home into any one section instantly and click on that which I want... I have never used Bookmarks, maybe I'm missing something so I am gonna apply myself - It just makes me wonder why Firefox didnt copy IE's ability to drag to desktop easily ....hmmmm
BUT THANKS, gonna try all your suggestions -
Cheap..

Stuartli 13:01 23 Jul 09

But Firefox DOES allow you to drag and drop a URL to the Desktop (usually from a smaller window size) if there is an identity icon in the Address bar.

Try it with the red PCA icon above - just drag and drop it onto your Desktop.

cheapread 22:11 23 Jul 09

Hi Stuartli -

yes I can drag it to the desktop no bother, BUT the Icon changes from a nice unique PCA icon to a desperately bland fox icon, like 30 others on my desktop...! (Does your PC do that?)
It must be a copyright issue by IE or something cleverer then Mozilla can do, IE maintains the proper icon, but Firefox is incapable of doing so...

Stuartli 00:03 24 Jul 09

I see what you mean. I have the IEView extension and, unfortunately, it's the same result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…