Firefox hijacked after upgrade download

golfpro 06:49 25 Aug 05

Yesterday I downloaded a softwear upgrade from the web site of a route planner I have been useing for years. First it came through as a zip file and I saved it into "My Documents" when I tried to unzip and install in firefox it was disalowed, so I downloaded the file again in Internet Explorer and ran the file.
When I went back to firefox, it would not load at first but after a few tries it loaded, but all my bookmarks had gone, and also my homepage and spell check (would like this back, but have forgotten how), it was as if the program started from scratch. I have run an Ad-Aware check but nothing is found. HOW can this happen???

octal 06:58 25 Aug 05

It sounds like its messed up you profile. If you look in your profile folder, this site will give its location click here and have a search for bookmarks.html and save it to another location. Then delete the profile folder and restart Firefox, it will ask you to create a new profile. You will have to re-install all your extensions again, including Spellbound, because you don't know which extension its corrupted. You can re-import the bookmarks in the Bookmarks manager.

golfpro 13:40 25 Aug 05

Thank you octal, it looks like that has happened, but its a rather complicated business to get it back together again, so I think I will forget about Firefox and stick with I/E.

Stuartli 14:08 25 Aug 05

You can import your IE and OE settings into Firefox and Thunderbird if you still have the same bookmarks etc.

If you do, start with a completely fresh install of FF and T'bird.

octal 15:28 25 Aug 05

He has still got to delete the profile folder otherwise Firefox will find it again if its re-installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…