Firefox help please

micklemouse 14:11 21 Jan 05

Since so many reviews which I have read commending Firefox I decided to give it a go and see. So far I'm not having much success with it; yes it's quick and yes I like the tabbing although I know there's more to it than that. But now my antivirus won't work unless I put I.E. as default and neither will my Spybot do a check. I've looked on Google to see if any other antivirus works with mozilla but it seems not. Am I missing something vital here or shall I just stick to I.E. after all if this is the way things have to be?

Regards Micklemouse

LeadingMNMs 14:14 21 Jan 05

I'm a little confused as to what your saying here.

Are you saying that your antivirus software fails to run when Firefox is your default browser, and that Spybot also does not run ?

micklemouse 16:52 21 Jan 05

yes that's correct. Platform is XP Home with SP2

micklemouse 16:56 21 Jan 05

Told by mcafee that I must use Internet Explorer for antivirus to work.

Tenacious Green 17:05 21 Jan 05

I don't know abot Macfee, but in respect of Spybot, it works swimmingly with firefox. I would suggest two things. Make sure your using Firefox 1.0 and Uninstall Spybot and reinstall it making sure your using version 1.3 to see if that helps.

^wave^ 17:08 21 Jan 05

ditch macafee and use avg its free and works

gel 17:18 21 Jan 05

Try Adaware its free also
I use spybot & adaware with firefox OK

micklemouse 17:21 21 Jan 05

Yes, T.Green, I'm using Firefox 1.0 so I'll reinstall Spybot. I wasn't thinking of ditching mcafee but I would like to know why the blessed thing won't work alongside mozilla that's all.

Wave, I probably will do just that

mark2 17:41 21 Jan 05

are you trying to use the McAfee online scan, and get a screen like click here ?

The freescan relies on Active X to run, which isn't available in firefox

micklemouse 09:37 22 Jan 05

Mark 2, you're right, I went to the online scan and it says in big bold letters, "Your browser is not supported". Nor can I get updates from the taskbar. It seems Mcafee needs Activex to work and as you say Firefox doesn't support it. Is this the case with all antivirus software? If anyone is using Firefox with something other than Mcafee I'd be most happy to hear from them!

Diodorus Siculus 09:56 22 Jan 05

I use FireFox alongside Avast AV and spybot / adaware on Win2k. All run perfectly alongside one another.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…