Firefox has a problem and crashes on startup

naviator 12:54 06 Apr 09

Firefox is great when it works BUT, after a couple of days following download, it developed a problem and crashed when selected and continued to do so. Reverted to IE and tried to download it again - same result as it crashed each time it was selected.

XP doesn't seem to like it. No virus was detected.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Graphicool1 13:07 06 Apr 09

Have a look here click here if you can't see anyone with a similar problem, post your's.

kalignorgna 13:43 06 Apr 09

no problem using firefox in xp works fine I’m using firefox 3.0.8 the latest version and other then the rare crash works better the IE 7 does. it does sometimes take a while to load though (but that might be the amount of add-on’s I have running).

iscanut 13:49 06 Apr 09

XP has loved it for years here !! Never had a problem with crashing with any version of Firefox.

lotvic 18:54 06 Apr 09

Firefox has been crashing before it gets going for the last few days for me. Takes about 3 tries before it slowly loads up.
Funnily enough yesterday I entered a comment in the box to go with the crash report and now today it fired up ok on the first try.
Hope it is now fixed but too early to tell.

naviator 00:26 07 Apr 09

Unfortunately I still cannot get it to operate after downloading - it still comes up with the same crash message. Why it should do this I do not know. The Firefox Forum doesn't seem to have any answers either.

Odd that it should work perfectly for a day or two and then crash more or less permanently. Internet Explorer in lieu is working satisfactorily. I suspected a virus but AVG couldn't find one.

Halmer 07:00 07 Apr 09

related?

naviator 13:46 07 Apr 09

Not related to Zone Alarm - it is not on my machine.

lotvic 22:10 07 Apr 09

Nor mine, I've not got Zone Alarm
but firefox is behaving today :)

kalignorgna 11:22 04 Jun 09

have you tryed using firefox with the firewall turned off?

if still not working download new version of firefox from site and try that to see if it was a bad download

brundle 11:43 04 Jun 09

Standard diagnostic - Firefox
From MozillaZine Knowledge Base

This article provides a standard set of steps to follow if Firefox is no longer working properly, and offers solutions that will preserve your user profile data (bookmarks, passwords, history, preference settings, etc.) as far as possible. You should first search the Knowledge Base and check the links given at the end of this article for a solution to your specific problem. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5