Firefox Can't Access Any Websites

Jonno131 12:31 20 Mar 14

I'm connected to the Internet on my desktop via ethernet cable to a wireless router with my laptop connected by WiFi. Whatever I type into the Firefox address bar I get "Connecting to (website name) briefly in the bottom left hand corner, then "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at isearch.avg.com." This happened suddenly yesterday afternoon. (I haven't installed any new software). My Internet connection is OK as I have no problems on my laptop with ethernet connection or WiFi. I've Googled isearch.avg.com which is known as a browser hijacker and tried following the instructions for removal but it doesn't appear in Control Panel or as a Firefox Add On, Plug In or Extension. I've run a full scan with Anvi Smart Defender and deleted everything it found. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, disabled the AVG firewall, uninstalled AVG Secure Search toolbar, but something seems to be blocking every website I try to access rather than my browser having been hijacked. I can't even access my router setup page (192.168.1.1) from my desktop but can from my laptop - (no problems showing). Internet Explorer won't connect to any website either. As I have total access through the router from my laptop, this has to be some setting on my desktop. Can anyone help please? I'm using Windows7 Home Premium.

Jonno131 12:47 20 Mar 14

Sorry, should have said OS is Windows7 Home Premium fully updated.

Jonno131 08:22 21 Mar 14

Thanks Jock1e Tried that which got rid if the 1search.avg.com message, but cant establish a connection to any website. I tried using Opera which made no difference so it doesn,t seem to be a browser problem,

rdave13 17:17 21 Mar 14

Did this happen after running a security program? As the connection is ok on the laptop it looks as it's possibly a TCP/IP Stack issue on the machine. Have a look here.

Secret-Squirrel 09:40 22 Mar 14

"This happened suddenly yesterday afternoon..........As I have total access through the router from my laptop, this has to be some setting on my desktop......"

Because your problem's so recent then a Windows System Restore is likely to be the quickest and easiest solution to your problem. Choose an available restore point that pre-dates the start of your problems but don't go further back than you need to. If it doesn't help or gives unexpected results then you can always go back in and there'll be an option to undo the changes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…