firefox and banking

Damarc 18:31 27 Apr 10

I read recently that there is a potential for banking details to be hijacked through IE and Firefox. I always thought Firefox had much better security than IE but now am worried to do my online banking on FF and have transferred to Chrome [a browser that seems so unsophisticated after Firefox!] Does anyone know if Firefox has now been fixed? I've posted a message on their forum but no replies so far. thanks

Jameslayer 18:52 27 Apr 10

Their is always a risk with using online banking. You should insure that you have a AV program that is up to date. And that you keep your computer fullly updated. Also make sure you run the av program sometimes on a full scan.

Jameslayer 18:52 27 Apr 10

Their is always a risk with using online banking. You should insure that you have a AV program that is up to date. And that you keep your computer fullly updated. Also make sure you run the av program sometimes on a full scan.

961 19:08 27 Apr 10

All browsers need constant updates and Firefox is no exception. There was a scare a couple of weeks ago but so far as I am aware this has now been fixed. (There has certainly been a Firefox security update in the last week or so)

Can I suggest you install and use the (free for personal use) Secunia software which will scan your machine weekly and advise which programmes have become insecure and need updating

click here

anniesboy 19:15 27 Apr 10

I use Firefox for banking and credit card transactions.I have been doing so for five years no problems.
I can check everday if I want to, would not be without it.
Ensure you have security and follow advice of your bank,they will have information on their site.
Some banks offer free security I believe.

VOT Productions 19:24 27 Apr 10

Well, Firefox is more secure than IE but that DOES NOT MEAN IT'S TOTALLY SECURE!

Get A/V, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, Spybot and a good Firefox (no, the Windows Firewall isn't that good)

Get Secunia too.

There is always a risk in Banking.

------------
PC Helper

Damarc 09:05 28 Apr 10

Thanks for this. I've got AVG antivirus, spyware blaster and antispyware, all freebie lot which were advised on here and I keep them up to date. I was told that Vista's Defender was good and I didn't need another firewall. Would that still be relevant? Glad to hear they've fixed it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant