Firefox 4 Add-blocker does not work

birdface 09:25 22 Mar 11
Answered

Hi just downloaded Firefox 4 and was notified that my Add-Blocker no longer works with this version.
Anyone using the Beta version of Firefox let me know what add-blocker they use that works.

birdface 09:52 22 Mar 11

Hmm.
Ad-blocker works but still get black screen when starting Firefox and changing pages.
Just downloaded Ad Block Plus and although it is working still get the black screen start up problem.
Using W/7 64 bit version so not sure if downloading the 32 bit version is the problem or not.
32 bit version of I/E works better than the 64 bit version so I assume it will be the same on Firefox.

beynac 09:58 22 Mar 11

I use Adblock Plus and that is working fine with Firefox 4 RC (32 bit version). My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

cocteau48 10:03 22 Mar 11

Morning buteman.

I tried FF4 (Final) last night (into a new folder alongside FF3 rather than overwriting it)and was astonished to find that nearly all my themes and extensions still worked even though I was being told that most of them were incompatible.

I did find that if I uninstalled an apparently incompatible theme/extension it would not allow me to re install it. Had to shut down FF4 reopen FF3 -reinstall the extension under FF3 and then go back to FF4.

Having said that I just do not think that the new features are worth the hassle of upgrading as yet.

Cannot really see the advantage of the new FF button over the traditional menu bar.

The loss of the page loading indicator is a huge miss.
I thought that there was supposed to be some indication of page loading in the browser search bar but this does not seem to work for me on both XP and Vista machines - maybe just me!

Do not notice it being any faster either. (Had a brief look at Opera this morning and was amazed at the page loading speed!)

Have gone back to FF3 because it works the way I want it to and FF4 seems to offer no real advantages.

birdface 10:13 22 Mar 11

[Cannot really see the advantage of the new FF button over the traditional menu bar]
have to agree with you on that one it is not needed.
It is the black pages that are annoying me just now as the add-blocker usually clears that up.
Any idea as how to remove the black start up or did you not have any problems with it.

birdface 10:24 22 Mar 11

Just added a new subscription to the add blocker and everything is back to normal with no black screens.
Unfortunately it has Moved the page back over to the left hand side of the screen which I did not want.
I will probably play about with it then revert back to the old version so that I can get the screen back on the center.

birdface 10:28 22 Mar 11

Just to add I do find it a fair bit quicker opening new pages.

cocteau48 12:10 22 Mar 11

Get your page loading progress bar back click here

birdface 14:48 22 Mar 11

Sorry not sure what I need to do with that.
Do you mean the status bar thing.
And is called add on bar which you get under View and toolbars.

birdface 14:48 22 Mar 11

Sorry not sure what I need to do with that.
Do you mean the status bar thing.
And is called add on bar which you get under View and toolbars.

birdface 14:50 22 Mar 11
Answer

looks like another small problem you press on post response, and nothing happens, so you press again and you end up with 2 posts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant