Firefox 3 seems to stop working

willyv 19:43 02 Nov 08

Im running firefox 3 on my vista laptop and it seems to freeze up after websurfing for about 45 mins. If i then switch to ie, there is no problem. i do prefer the features of firefox tho. i never had any such problems with firefox on my old xp desktop- do i need to adjust any settings? many thanks

willyv 19:45 02 Nov 08

also, if i try to open firefox after the freeze, it says that firefox is still running and cannot open, even tho there is no open window on desktop. if i restart the laptop it will be useable again?????

Halmer 19:46 02 Nov 08

Zone Alarm by any chance?

Jak_1 19:48 02 Nov 08

Which version Vista and laptop stats ie processor, RAM etc?

tullie 19:54 02 Nov 08

I had probs with ZA,changed to pc tools firewall,all ok now.

mocha 21:13 02 Nov 08

Hi willyv,

Just to let you know your not on your own, I too have the same problems.

Hi Halmer,

I am using Zone Alarm, do you think this could be the problem.

mocha 21:22 02 Nov 08

Hi tullie,

Missed your message, was you having the same problems as willyv as I have alway's used ZoneAlarm and would not like to uninstall it. But I would sooner that than give up on Firefox.

MIke 22:27 02 Nov 08

Similar problems here too I also use ZA. I can't say it happens that often though. Also get same issue on opening FF after it's frozen, usually opening FF the third time works OK

Halmer 08:16 03 Nov 08

I installed the very latest version of ZA and had the same problem so I simply reverted back to the previous version.

Check Point are aware that there is an issue with some Vista PCs and the latest version 8.0.020.000 and have withdrawn it as an automatic update. You should go back to the first one at the bottom click here if this is the case with you and give it a go.

It cured my problem. I actually reinstalled Vista and only found out by chance when it started to play up again when I installed the latest ZA firewall. If only I'd been a bit more patient.........

Halmer 08:24 03 Nov 08

Previous version 7.0.483.000 on File Hippo click here is for XP, 2003 and 2000 only.

There is a dedicated version for vista (7.1.248.000) as per my link above.

The Vista problem also manifested itself in mine as a very slow shutdown.

willyv 08:48 03 Nov 08

yep, i am running za. i am also getting the slow shutdown thing- will try link from halmer. many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced