Firefox 3 Issues on HP Laptop

MIke 19:20 12 Jan 09

Hi

I've been using Firefox 3 for a while now on both my desktop and Laptop. I'm now on V3.05 on both computers. They are configured the same on each, both are up to date and use the same add ons (Foxmarks and Speed dial)again both up to date.

I use Avast and ZoneAlarem on both PC's again both up to date.

I have a problem on the Laptop with FF that does not happen on the desktop. Occasionally FF hangs and cannot be closed, even using Taskmanager to try to kill it doesn't work. If I then try to use IE7 to connect to the Internet it doesn't work either. I just get the busy mouse pointer, and nothing in the progress bar. I've also installed Opera on the laptop and again this cannot connect to the net if Firefox is in its hung state.

There are a few threads around describing the issue of FF hanging and not being able to be killed off using Task manager, some blame ZoneAlarm, but my desktop version works OK using FF and ZA.

The only programs on the Laptop any different to my desktop are those that HP put there such as HP Update, Quickplay, and of course the drivers.

As yet I've not found a satisfactory answer to this problem. Re-installing does not help, including a clean re-install.

I now mainly use Opera on my laptop to combat this issue, but unfortunately Opera doesn't support foxmarks or more importantly Roboform which I use as my password manager.

Anybody been in the same position and found a solution?

PS both pc are running an up to date version of Vista

Halmer 08:59 13 Jan 09

works on some PCs with Vista but not others so it may still be your problem. I'd revert back to the previous Vista version to rule it out.

Halmer 09:01 13 Jan 09
  MIke 18:39 13 Jan 09

Thanks I'll give it a go

MIke 16:34 14 Mar 09

I've now ticked resolved. I still get problems using V 7.1.248.000 of ZoneAlarm but not as frequently as before. I also have an old HP laptop with a celeron 1.6 processor 1Gb RAM. I've recently experimented with Mint Linux on that Laptop, and Firefox works perfectly on there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now