Firefox 1.0.1 Released

bertiecharlie 12:29 25 Feb 05

New version of Firefox click here Release Notes click here

anniel 12:52 25 Feb 05

Do I have to uninstall version 1.0 completely before I install the new version.

I am always dead scared I will lose my bookmarks, extensions etc. if I do a complete new installation.

And do I really need the new version> I am just the average home user.

I just dread new versions of anything, given the problems they can cause me!

Stuartli 13:08 25 Feb 05

Details on installing the new version at:

click here

vinnyT 13:14 25 Feb 05

anniel, this from the 2nd link above, there is more on the page, but this basically answers your Q. I hope.

Prior to installing Firefox 1.0.1, please ensure that the directory you've chosen to install into is clean and doesn't contain any previous Firefox installations.

Here's what's new in Firefox 1.0.1:
Improved stability
International Domain Names are now displayed as punycode. (To show International Domain Names in Unicode, set the "network.IDN_show_punycode" preference to false.)
Several security fixes.

octal 13:27 25 Feb 05

Thanks, found and installed the Linux version.

Newuser2 13:36 25 Feb 05

Thanks for the update info.
Have downloaded and installed 1.0.1 with no probs.
Just followed instructions, had to shut down current firefox no need to unistall version 1.0.

Stuartli 13:39 25 Feb 05

Installed and running, but I did take the advice to first uninstall Firefox 1.0 from Add/Remove - I said No to removing ALL files when asked.

Your profile is retained, along with Bookmarks, History etc.

anniel 13:39 25 Feb 05

So do you have the new version in another folder or in another drive?

Stuartli 13:41 25 Feb 05

Might be my imagination, but 1.0.1 seems a shade quicker...:-)

bertiecharlie 14:03 25 Feb 05

Not sure what to think about the spoofing problem originally posted by dagwoood on 10th February. If you click on the test link click here you still arrive at the spoofed page but instead of the url showing paypal, it shows xn-paypl-7ve.

The Adblock fix, recommended at the time, blocked the page from loading completely but this is no longer effective in this new version of Firefox.

Stuartli 14:23 25 Feb 05

If you had read further down your Secunia link you would have learned that the security issue has been fixed in Firefox 1.0.1 and as mentioned earlier in the thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…