Firefox 1.0 causing PC to crash

WHU 19:28 17 Nov 04

Recently downloaded firefox 1.0 and although im quite pleased with it (improvement over BT browser anyway). Sometimes when i open other programs my pc crashes. Doesnt seem to be any real pattern to it, sometimes its ok, sometimes its not, and could happen anytime and when i open any program. Never had this problem until i started using firefox. Anyone else experienced this, and anyone know any solution. Im using Win98 and have never used any previous Mozilla programs.

JIM 19:38 17 Nov 04

One way to find out for sure if it's Firefox would be to uninstall it.Would also suggest you run the win98 SFC from the start /run command.Before you uninstall firefox.See how it goes.

Gongoozler 20:22 17 Nov 04

Hi WHU. I haven't had any problems at all with Firefox of Thunderbird used with XP. Are there any messages when your computer crashes? Have you run an adware scan (use AdAware click here) and an up to date virus scan? What is the specification of your computer?

WHU 21:19 17 Nov 04

hi gongoozler. When i sometimes click to open something the screen freezes, when i press control/alt/del the screen then turns black and freezes, i then have to switch the pc off via the on/off button.
Ive just run adware and everythings fine.
My pcs about 4 years old now, so not high spec, but in line with the system min requirements from the Mozilla website.
Thanks.

Gongoozler 10:05 18 Nov 04

Hi WHU. When Windows 98 starts misbehaving like this, I find that the best thing to do is to back up all the important data files, reformat and start again. I don't think Firefox iself is the cause of the problem, but Windows 98 is a bit fragile and installing any software can go wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…