woofwoofbark 23:40 31 Aug 04

I am getting 2 popups telling me that this 'firedaemon.exe' has encountered a problem and has to close , it pops onto my screen when I trun my computer on ... does anyone know its purpose or hot to fix or delete ?

woofwoofbark 23:42 31 Aug 04

'turn' my computer on ... does anyone know its purpose or 'how' to fix or delete ?

bertiecharlie 01:00 01 Sep 04

This is difficult. According to click here you have the Backdoor.NTHack Virus/Trojan.

However, on further reading I found this : "firedaemon.exe. Description: This process is a part of the FireDaemon system tool from Sublime Solutions company. It is useful for system administrators, it allows most of the Windows programs and applications to run as services. It is known, that the filename firedaemon.exe is also sometimes used by spyware programs, so be careful with this process."

There is information from Symantex click here

On one site someone used Trend Micro Housecall to get rid of it click here

Someone with a bit more knowledge than me might pick this up and advise you. Meantime, you should maybe update your anti-virus programme and run a scan with it. A2 Free from click here might be worth trying as well.

"Fire Daemon", with a gap between the words, is shown by PestPatrol as an exploit but it doesn't appear to describe the same thing.

woofwoofbark 05:50 02 Sep 04

I ran a scan and found a virus in this folder ... C:\WinNT\system32\drivers\etc\system\su ... in a file called dll32 ??? plus theres a file called firedaemon.exe ... should I remove it ???

bertiecharlie 10:06 02 Sep 04

Quarantine the virus, rather than delete it altogether. Can you post which programme found it and the name of the virus.

As regards the firedaemon file I think you need to be careful as it may be a legitimate file. You could try putting it in the Recycle Bin and leaving it there. If your computer, and programmes, show no ill effects you can delete it in due course.

Also, take a look at the processes in Task Manager and your Start Up items. Is there anything there that you are not familiar with?

bertiecharlie 10:17 02 Sep 04

click here for AutoStart Viewer (Freeware) to help you identify your Start Up items.

click here for the UltimateTroubleshooter (Free Trial) to help you identify the Processes in Task Manager.

iambeavis 10:34 02 Sep 04

Do you have a process called svhost.exe (NOT svchost.exe) running on your computer?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…