Fire Wire or USB2.0?

mikey b 09:54 21 May 04

I am going to buy an iPod and need to install either Fire Wire or USB2.0
Which would you recommend in terms of ease of installation and speed?
I run XP home

Charence 10:18 21 May 04

If you're going to have to install a PCI card anyway, then FIREWIRE IEEE 1394 definately!!! The transfer rate of firwire is much quicker than USB2.0 and the power output which firewire gives to the connected unit can recharge the iPod much better than a USB2.0 port can.

bvw in bristol 10:42 21 May 04

Why not get both ? You can get a combined USB2 and Firewire PCI card.

Bowsprit 10:45 21 May 04

Saw this------FireWire offers a significant advantage over USB 2.0, besting it by nearly 48 percent in write speeds and over 70 percent in read speeds. (Yet another (indirect) reason Apple iPod owners are so happy.

Charence 20:48 22 May 04

I was looking at external HDDs and found a shocking fact click here USB 2.0 is 80MBPS faster than IEEE 1394!!!

Mister Splendid 21:08 22 May 04

The trouble with USB, 1.1 and 2.0 is that it never actually gets anywhere near the maximum transfer rate. In practice the "slower" firewire is faster.

€dstowe 06:40 23 May 04

For all practical purposes, in audio especially, there is no perceptible difference. Both systems are plenty fast enough for what you want to do. Both systems are plug-n-play and are hot-wirable.

It used to be that Firewire was notably more expensive than USB2 so it may come down to economics.

mikey b 08:47 24 May 04

Thanks all - have decided to get both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…