Fire!!!

BigMan24 07:08 31 Jul 05

Hi guys,

I have quite a silly question, but its something i thought i better check.

At the back of my computer (and I'm sure most peoples computers) there are a number of cables, and to neaten things up a bit i thought i'd fold them together (just like when they are in the box) and tie them up with the little plastic bits.

I've done this with the power cable as well. I'm pretty sure all the other cables will be ok, but i wasnt so sure about the power cable.

Could this cause overheateing or something like that, then go on and cause a fire? Or can u see any problem with this at all?

Thanks guys!

ICF 07:18 31 Jul 05

If you can buy comercial kits it must be ok click here

wiz-king 07:47 31 Jul 05

You should be ok, the size of the cable is usually more than adequate for the current involved and it is not long enough to get over heated. The problem comes with extension reels and higher current things (like fan heaters) that are left on for a time, then the slight heat generated in the cable cannot escape and eventually the cable insulation melts.
If your PC takes that much power then I think you should think about changing it!

Meshuga 08:51 31 Jul 05

On a slightly different note, while it is not a fire hazard you should not run a telephone cable within 2inches of a mains cable so do not fasten these together with cable ties. Causes interference by induction.

Stuartli 09:03 31 Jul 05

According to the BT engineer who completely rewired my phone system from the house box to Master Socket last year, dialup modem cables will not pick up interference providing the run to the adjacent mains cable is reasonably short.

As for computer power cables, I've never heard in 25 years of using computer systems one having caused a fire or possibility of one.

Mine runs between a mass of cables and leads at the rear of my system and has done (with one system or another) for nine years - same with the printer mains cable...:-)

Graham ® 10:18 31 Jul 05

2 inches is the recommended distance of separation, especially on long runs, as found in commercial premises. Where they cross, make it a right-angle.

In a domestic situation, dial-up connections would not be affected. However, broadband is very prone to induced interference that would cause unexplained drop-outs, so keep them apart.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 31 Jul 05

When a cable is "coiled" the magnetic field round one part of the cable reacts with another, increasing the overall magnetic filed and heat produced.

This of course is done purposely in certain pieces of equipment to make use of the strengthened magnetic fielded.

The field produce round a cable is dependent on the amount of current passing through the cable. At 500w use by the PC the current is just over 2A and the field is therefore very small and the effect is negligible

Meshuga 11:57 31 Jul 05

Stuartli, as you will see on my post I did say that it was not a fire hazard.

BigMan24 12:29 31 Jul 05

thanks guys,

I didnt think it would be a problem, but i thot i'd better check with u lot.

Thanks again!

Arnie 13:31 31 Jul 05

Not a silly question at all.

The only real problem I can see outside the ones already mentioned is:

If the mains lead is bent back on itself as supplied from new and tied back in this manner to shorten it.

The slight warming effect of the current flow through the cable, in a high ambient temperature, could possibly cause a creep in the insulation. This in time could cause a short circuit.

It is very unlikely to happen, but the possibility is there.

Even so, a correctly fused lead would not cause a fire. It would only blow the fuse.

Fuses are safety valves, that's why they are fitted.

Forum Editor 13:42 31 Jul 05

that any cable running to or from a modem must be kept at least 50mm from a power cable - it's not too difficult to arrange. In offices I always stress this point, plus the right-angle crossing rule mentioned by Graham ®

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…