Finding required drivers for a clean install

six-h 12:54 13 Jul 09

Having received much help and advice regarding the fitting of a larger HDD in my Laptop, I’m now about to buy a Samsung HM121HC which I’m fairly confident will be “seen” by my ancient machine!
Since I don’t have the original install disk, I’m using an “unbranded” XP OEM disk for which I’ve been warned I’ll need to harvest the necessary drivers for my machine.

Thereby hangs the tale (or is it tail?)
My machine declares in “System Info” that it is a “Starbook 520” and that it runs a Celeron 2Ghz (Desktop) processor.
The label on the base says it is manufactured by Clevo, and is a “Model D22ES” badgded “Iridium”
Armed with this irrefutable information, I headed for the “Rock” support site since they represent Clevo in the UK.
Entering “Iridium” and “D22ES” indeed brings up the details and required drivers for the Starbook 520...but there is no mention of a Celeron processor, only two P4 ones.
Phoning them, elicited the response,” well maybe it’s the Starbook 515, which does have a Celeron processor”!
Does anyone know how or where I can obtain a definitive answer?
Also, would this confusion have any bearing on the suitability of the chosen HDD?

kalignorgna 13:07 13 Jul 09

the best way to check your cpu is to 1: use Everest click here then once the trial is downloaded and installed run the program and then click on the motherboard icon then CPU this will tell you the name make and model of your CPU

the 2nd way is when the computer is turned off to open the case remove the cpu fan and check the cpu but i would only recommend this if you have experience with the inside of a computer as the cpu is very easy to dammage.

six-h 13:34 13 Jul 09

Thanks kalignorgna,
I must admit, I did'nt remove the heatsink and fans last time I removed the keyboard so I've not actually seen the CPU.
Are you saying that when right clicking "My Computer" and selecting "Properties" the CPU info displayed may be wrong?
I know for sure it's a desktop processor since it has 2 fans, and also the power brick is a 4.5A 90w unit.

kalignorgna 14:15 13 Jul 09

it does happen at times yes, the Everest link will verify it for you though. you can ignore the bottom part of the post I was thinking of desktop pc’s laptop cpu’s are even harder to get to.

also using Everest means that if the main site has not got the right drivers you can still get them using the program to hunt down the drivers you need

kalignorgna 14:18 13 Jul 09

also you can use Everest to check the model of the computer in case its that which is incorrect and not the cpu (which is more likely).

kalignorgna 14:18 13 Jul 09

also you can use Everest to check the model of the computer in case its that which is incorrect and not the cpu (which is more likely).

six-h 14:24 13 Jul 09

kalignorgna, Thanks for that, I'd better put "Everest" in my toolbox then, sounds handy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…