Finding out what an unknown piece of hardware is

May the Schwarz be with you... 15:38 14 Mar 04

Hi, I borrowed this cable which you plug into the serial port at the back of the PC and my friend says that it works as an IRDA cable so that I can connect my Sony Ericsson Z600 to it. However, I don't know how to install this thing and what drivers to download. Windows XP doesn't detect when it's plugged in. My friend says that it has something to do with LIRC but I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions? Maybe some program which will detect all hardware plugged into my PC?

Diodorus Siculus 16:00 14 Mar 04

click here#
Aida32 - might detect it. But if Windows does not recognise it,then there may be problems with another program being able to do it.

Are there any identifying marks on the cable?

prenk10 16:01 14 Mar 04

go to the website for the Sony Ericsson Z600 and it should provide drivers as downloads for the cable

if it is infact the right cable for the job

prenk10

It's not a Sony Ericsson Z600 cable. It's just some IRDA serial cable my friend gave me.

prenk10 16:57 14 Mar 04

I know it isnt but it may provide a means to finding it.

you could try to delete the software driver in device manager or just try rebooting the machines because sometimes if you leave your computer on for a lenght of time it does not autodetect hardware.

bump

I don't think rebooting the system will do anything since I have had it plugged into the serial port of my PC for like 2 weeks now and nothing has ever come up.

spuds 00:23 15 Mar 04

Aida should give you information on your system, but if you want a second oppinion then try click here and download their free programme.

©®@$? 00:35 15 Mar 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…