finding out what to buy

Damage124 10:49 19 Mar 05

Hi. I have 2 desktop pc,s and a laptop, all XP. Both pc's have adsl routers but are in different rooms. One has cable connected adsl.What do I need to buy to get all connected? Can the two desktops network without using the internet for my kids pc games? many thanks Diarmid

FelixTCat 21:47 20 Mar 05

What you need depends on how far apart the pcs are. If you want to network them for games, the best way is to use an ethernet cable.

You can only use one adsl router to connect to the internet at any one time unless they are both on separate phone lines and you have 2 broadband accounts. You can connect them together and use one of them to connect to the internet or, for simplicity sake, only use one and connect both pcs by ethernet cable.

If you want to take full advantage of the mobility of a laptop, but still have it connected on the network, you might wish to consider setting up a wireless connection; to do this, you will need at least a wireless infrastructure point and a wireless card for the laptop.

You can connect the 2 pcs through this network for games; you will have the option to allow or disallow their access to the internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…