Finding out connector size for AC Adapter

Daisy22 21:22 09 Mar 09

How would one find this out other than actually measuring it? The bit I mean is the little plug that fits into a laptop

I've seen some replacement adapters which seem to be what I need but it says to check connector size as they seem to vary.

I did buy an AC adapter from ebay with the different plug sizes but after a week it stopped working, although power is still going to the battery pack. I think I may have used the wrong connector and "blew" it so this time I want to be sure.

Thanks

Technotiger 21:26 09 Mar 09

Knowing what laptop you need it for, might help.

Daisy22 14:44 10 Mar 09

Sorry, its for an ACER aspire 5600 series

jack 15:52 10 Mar 09

and a coloured colour demote the voltage
So a universal stabilized voltage adaptor that I have [ADSA £4 or thereabouts]has strip of connector each a different diameter and a colour collar.
The voltage switch is also colour coded - decide the voltage/ select the colour then all you have to worry about is polarity- this is achieved by unplugging the connector and reversing it
In correct polarity is not a problem because stuff has diode protection - it either goes or it doesn't. If it doesn't turn the connector around.

Pamy 16:28 10 Mar 09

I would suggest that as its a laptop (portable), that you take it to someone like PC world or other computer dealer(J Lewis for example) and ask them for one to suit. Then having asked what the size is and any thing else you want to know about polarity etc. make up your mind wether to purchase from them or go elsewhere.

woodchip 16:40 10 Mar 09

Its not the size of the plug you need to consider, its the Size of the original Adapter i.e Volts and Amps. Plug would also need to fit. But do get these in the right order as above as you can blow a Laptop up

Pamy 17:04 10 Mar 09
  Daisy22 17:20 10 Mar 09

Thanks for help, i'm still not sure as all the coloured adapters are different sizes on the strip I have and I can't see where on the laptop it is colour coded so as to use the correct one.

Thanks Pamy for the link I will look at that.

Technotiger 17:47 10 Mar 09

These are for the Aspire 5600 Series - if you can match the number with your own, then you will have the correct item ... click here

jack 20:06 10 Mar 09

The laptop is not colour coded.
With the Adaptor in the table disconnected from the mains, try each connector into the laptop until one fits.
The colour code on that connector is the one to select on the slide selector on the unit.

woodchip 19:40 11 Mar 09

When she says Colour Coded, I wonder if she means Sound and mic sockets

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5