Finding Modem drivers and then installing them....

Kaacee 22:46 28 Jul 03

As a PC novice i would be grateful for any advice on:

1.Where to find motorola modem drivers ?.

2.Are they free?.

3.How do i install a driver ?.

The reason for these questions is i have been advised to make sure good dial-up connections are made and ensuring i have the latest driver is one way of achieving this.

many thanks

DieSse 23:02 28 Jul 03

We can help better if you can tell us exactly what model motorola modem you have, please

ade.h 23:37 28 Jul 03

Try click here. Motorola is listed there. Installation is easy if your using XP:
It should find the new hardware and either install the driver or prompt you for it. If this doesn't happen, then right-click My Computer - Properties - Hardware tab - Device Manager. Double-click the modem and click Update driver.

Kaacee 11:07 29 Jul 03

Sorry,Modem is Motorola SM56 PCI.OS is windows 98SE

Lú-tzé 11:34 29 Jul 03

click here for a possibility

Lú-tzé 11:35 29 Jul 03

Or do a search on driversearch.com

click here

bof:) 11:36 29 Jul 03

or here

click here

Mike

Maddie 11:55 29 Jul 03

if you still have probs click on my contact evelope and let me have your e-mail address and i will attach to reply.
Maddie

DieSse 14:04 29 Jul 03

Thanks for the info - I have to say, taht if you are having problems connecting, and not getting good speeds, I wiuld recommend you to get another modem. I have repalced two Motorola SM56 modems recently, with these problmes, and the clients communications were transformed - I suspected the modems due to reading elsewhere about the general flakiness of these models.

However, if yoy want to try a driver update first, go to click here you will see there are different drivers for variations on the modem type. I can't tell which s the correct one, without knowing which you've go!

To try and find out, go to Control Panel - Modems - Choose the second tab in the Window that opens - select the modem - and click the More Information button - see if you can tell which from the info you get back.

Installing a new driver takes a number of steps

Download the file and save it on your system.

Uninstall the Modem software using Control panel - Add/Remove programs (the software for these modems seem to be in there normally).

Go to the new driver you have saved - it's probably zipped - and click on the file you saved - and read any readme files.

As you can see from the other links above, you can take rather pot luck with drivers for older products, that's why you may find it simpler and better in the long run to buy a new, inexpensive, modem, complete with drivers on CD.

Kaacee 14:14 29 Jul 03

Very many thanks to everyone that responded to my query,i now know a lot more about modem drivers,where to find them and how to install them (i think) !!

I will mark as resolved.

Again many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…