Finding Modem Driver

vandango 10:09 03 Dec 04

I've just moved and whilst i'm waiting for by bb connection to be sorted I would like to use my old 56k modem.

The problem is that i have reformatted the computer and do not have a driver. I have removed the modem from the computer but cannot see a manufacturers name on it.

Anyone have any ideas of what i could google or distinguish on the modem to find a driver?

Graham ® 10:12 03 Dec 04

Don't think you need one, especially if using XP. Refit it and Windows should see it when you re-start.

c_norris1989 10:13 03 Dec 04

have you tried click here?

vandango 10:19 03 Dec 04

I'm not using xp, i'm using 98se and it says that is is not working correctly.

I do not know what the modem is so i cannot seem to find anything on driver guide.

Stuartli 10:20 03 Dec 04

At the very least Windows should install a generic driver that will get it going - it may even recognise the modem.

Otherwise try click here for some advice and guidance.

c_norris1989 10:22 03 Dec 04

Sorry, that last one was a bit vague. (Didn't really think that comment through!). Usually Xp won't detect 56K modems on it's own. Read the information on the big chip of the modem (you probably won't see the manufacturers name), when you've written the numbers and stuff down, use the advanced search on driverguide.com. Or, paste it here and someone may be able to help more.

Belatucadrus 11:30 03 Dec 04

click here for Everest home system diagnostic. Run it and look in Devices/PCI devices. The modem should be listed in there somewhere.

Stuartli 13:20 03 Dec 04

XP Pro manages to find my Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro OK and install the driver if I remove the modem or list the modem model if I have updated the driver.

Stuartli 13:26 03 Dec 04

Further to Belatucadrus's posting, going to Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information >Hardware>Device>Modems will list the modem or, if you have either Aida32 or Belarc Advisor which do the same job as System Information, the same result.

Graham ® 14:44 03 Dec 04

Troubleshooting 98 modems click here

If the modem worked in the past the drivers will be on the 98 CD, and unless it is faulty you should be able to install the drivers in Device Manager.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…